As I’ve said before, this is the first year I haven’t made personalized mixes for friends, family, and even vague acquaintances. That’s cool, and I’ve really enjoyed creating these themed playlists instead.
But I really did want to make one (Maybe my last one? Probably not.) for my partner, Andy, who has yet to be the recipient of one. This is our very first Christmas together, and he has been amazing in accommodating this weird Christmas music quirk of mine – so much so that he not only encouraged my creation of this blog, but has also been responsible for finding all of the adorable accompanying images.
When I make personalized Christmas mixes I often ask people if they want a specific theme, or if they can at the very least (especially when I don’t know them well) give me a sense of what kind of music they like. Andy did request a ’70’s-ish mix, and in my head and having a pretty good sense of Andy’s tastes, I was thinking about The Band’s “Christmas Must Be Tonight” as a sort of blueprint. But, you know, I don’t have everything, and it turns out that I am especially lacking in songs that sound like that one. Fortunately, he has very eclectic taste, and also fortunately, we’ve spent a lot of time listening to Christmas music together this season. I know which songs I’ve played for him have really struck a chord and the ones which are now a part of the way we will both remember this first Christmas together.
This one’s for you, Andy. I hope you’ll like the songs I don’t already know you’ll like. Christmas with you is the best.
Everyone else reading this – Thank you! It’s been so much fun doing this! I’m off to celebrate the holidays with family and won’t be posting anymore playlists this season. I hope you’ll enjoy the 11 I’ve posted here this season. I’m pretty sure there’s something for just about everyone. Happy holidays, and see you next year!
- The Long Winters – Christmas With You is the Best
- XTC – Always Winter Never Christmas
- Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings – Ain’t No Chimneys in the Projects
- The Staple Singers – Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas?
- J. Hines and the Boys – A Funky Christmas to You
- James Brown – Go Power at Christmas Time
- Stevie Wonder – What Christmas Means to Me
- Jimmy Butler – Trim Your Tree
- Albert King – Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin’
- Johnny Guarniere and Slam Stewart – Santa’s Secret
- Raymond Scott – Christmas Night in Harlem
- Vince Guaraldi – Christmas is Coming
- Steve Gray – Snowman’s Stomp
- Jon Graboff – Merry Christmas Baby
- Bud Logan – Sock it to me Santa
- The Band – Christmas Must be Tonight
- Bee Gees – All My Chrismases Came at Once
- The Free Design – Christmas is the Day
- Mark Kozelek – I Believe in Father Christmas
- Dodd Farrelle – Strung Out Like the Lights (at Christmastime)
- Sonny James – Barefoot Santa Claus
- The Royal Guardsmen – Snoopy’s Christmas
- The Turtles – Christmas is my Time of Year
- Toots & The Maytals – Christmas Feeling
- Count Floyd – Christmas Eve in Transylvania
- Corb Lund – Just Me and These Ponies (for Christmas This Year)
- The Pretenders – 2000 Miles